Thursday, July 16, 2015

WIPs Closet Confessions: The First One

Good evening, and welcome. Please draw up a comfy seat, light your cigar and enjoy a new feature I like to call...


WIPs Closet Confessions




...In which we open up our closet of shame unfinished projects, and talk about them.

Why are they still there? Who were they for? What are they made of? Should we rip 'em out?



I plan on posting every other Thursday, and want you to be a part of it. My friend Laura has agreed to show and tell with us, and hopefully more of you will join in. Use #WIPsCC to label your posts if you want in on this embarrassing, cathartic series!

(WIP, for those of you who are unfamiliar, stands for Work In Progress)

To get us started, here is a blanket I have been working on for, oh I don't know, seven years?




1. What is it?
This is an improvised, bias-knit blanket with a garter stitch border and stockinette stitch on most of it. Super simple. Perfect TV knitting.

2. When did you start it?
7 years ago, give or take

3. What's it for?
 A blanket for our couch, or maybe embiggened a little for our bed.

4. What's it made of?
Rowan Colourscape , which is discontinued. I think I have enough, fingers crossed. It's really pretty and I'm doing some alternating-skeins stripes when I feel like it.

5.Why isn't it done?
Mostly, because it's really hot to knit. Basically it's like having a blanket on you, so... I have to be in the right mood/season for that. Winter knitting tends to be gift knitting, and the blanket gets passed over again and again!
Plus, sometimes I love it and sometimes I think it's a hideous beast. Mostly I really love it, though.

6. What would it take to finish it, at least in time and materials?
Probably 15 hours and another skein or two.

7. Is it worth finishing, or consider ripping it?
Yeah, I'll finish it eventually.

8. Shame scale 1-5 
Probably 2. It's big and bulky so I want to get it done to de-clutter the closet, but I am fine letting this one sleep.





---

Want to do a Closet Confession? (Yeah you do!) Use these prompts in any way you'd like (do 'em all, pick a couple, do none of them) and let me know what you're up to!


1. What is it? (Pattern, inspiration)
2. When did you start it?
3. What's it for? (who or why)
4. What's it made of?
5.Why isn't it done? (this could take a while)
6. What would it take to finish it, at least in time and materials? (emotional toil notwithstanding)
7. Is it worth finishing, or consider ripping it?
8. Shame scale 1-5 (1 = I'm cool with this situation, 5 = Please no don't look at it, my heart is broken, my life is OVER and we shan't EVEN)

No comments: