Sunday, September 27, 2009

friends


It was a lovely day.

Living so far away from my loved ones makes me appreciate ANYONE I recognize so much more--when I go home to Madison and run into someone from high school, even if I didn't know them very well, I get excited and greet them enthusiastically. Oftentimes they won't return the enthusiasm, and it takes me a few moments of trying not to be offended to remember that they see familiar faces all the time. Los Angeles is a sea of self-involved strangers, and connecting with people is difficult. Everyone here feels like an outsider, so there is no one to welcome you to the neighborhood--they don't feel like they belong either.

My mind still travels back to that sunny, pastoral paradise that was our wedding site, especially when I am stuck in traffic. I miss the green hills and the wonderful people that gathered with us to celebrate life and love.

1 comment:

Karla said...

"is a sea of self-involved strangers, and connecting with people is difficult. "

I could not agree more.. I hope with the time it gets easier for you :)

Love your patterns, you are very talented!